Carnival for tea,breakfast and dinner

All I do is think about Carnival !!! Join me on the road to carnival 2k7

Name:
Location: Arima, Trinidad & Tobago

I love Carnival!!. Trinidad's carnival! Once a year my senses rejoice at the opportunity to douse my soul with intoxicating soca music, shed my cares and fears, and temporarily transfer my spirit into the mas. (S. Drakes)

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Panorama is about Pan or Party?







Being a pan player for more than a decade of my life, there is one thing that I never understood was the relationship between the crowd at the North stands and the actually steel pan playing on the stage. Having been a panorama participant since I was 13 years old I have only been up to the North stand during a panorama semifinals once in my life. This happened because I was doing examinations and my parents denied me panorama that year.

After sitting in the stand for a short while it was abundantly clear that the majority of the people in the North stand during the competition have little or zero interest in the musical event happening on stage. I had my time dodging people who were just their for lime.. because I was really trying to hear the bands.

The panorama competition becomes nothing but a back drop to the party/picnic/ Drink up that happens on the day. There is absolutely nothing wrong with large crowds of people coming together to enjoy themselves.. but why not appreciate your national instrument at the same time?

This is also raises the question to if the north stand’s behavior is a reflection of the Trinidad and Tobago in general. Trinidad is the birth place of the most unique instrument created in the twentieth century and people seem not to appriceate it.

The 2006 proceeding included the house Dj threatening the North stand to stop their music making activities so that the competition could continue and the judges would make a justified decision.

While I am typing this post I am wondering exactly what is going to happen to the competition next year seeing that the demolition of the queen’s park savannah stage is now on the books…. Will no one attend??

16 Comments:

Blogger Icahwait* said...

me cannot handle the pan I sorry. Can't take it.

10:58 PM  
Blogger kevian said...

I think u jus don't have an understanding of the art form. plus the northstand does be making so much noise that sometimes they does make the bands sound more noisey than they really are.

2:11 AM  
Blogger saucydiva said...

I am an avid panorama semis goer (formerly known as prelims) who goes for the lime and not the pan, though it does not stop us from jumping up to a sweet piece of pan onstage. Case in point was when one the bands played a Destra tune, the whole North Stand was rocking.

Panorama will see me for 2007 (once I able) I want to see what effect,if any, a change of venue has on the whole panorama experience.

7:42 AM  
Blogger kevian said...

Ok well at least u still listen to the pan, I understand maybe most of the bands don't play soca but they play more the defrosto kinda thing... which might not be the most interesting to the usual carnival revellers...

9:59 AM  
Blogger pearlprincess said...

Even though I was never really an avid Panorama goer (friends were never really interested in going) I have always loved listening to pan. When you think about the musical arrangement and the composition.....there is nothing that exists like it.

3:40 PM  
Blogger kevian said...

Yes pearl no other instrument in the world is arranged like pan.. I am so proud to be able to play it!

4:36 PM  
Anonymous squeezle said...

Even though I haven't made it to Panorama semis for the past few years, the crowd I used to hang out with leaned heavily toward the 'pan enthusiast' side of the spectrum. So even though we enjoyed the riddim sections and all the bacchanal, we really did make an effort to LISTEN to the arrangements (although it seems that in recent years, this is becoming harder and harder to do).

I'm hoping that more of the popular young soca performers can follow Destra's lead and come forth with Panorama tunes, and maybe this will encourage more people to actually take an interest in the music, and not just the lime that accompanies it.

4:56 PM  
Blogger kevian said...

I am glad to see people actually take an interest in the pan, I thought all was lost.

To be honest I am an exocdus player and we played max it up and i didn't like the choice and probably that is where the problem lies.. the performers need to do more "hip" chunes for pansides to play.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous khalick said...

I love the pan. Check out www.tishof.pan-jumbie.com for articles on the pan.

7:08 PM  
Blogger kevian said...

Thanks Khalick..do you play?

12:47 AM  
Blogger Karabana said...

I guess it's not a surprise many consider it a lime rather than a concert. Maybe the set up makes it so that they can't control what the crowd does (not listen, but party)??
Good pan is an amazing experience. I've always loved pan performances, esp in a park. Hubby started playing this past year w an award winning band & our version of Panorama, Pan Alive, was this summer. I tell you, it was incredible, the music gives you this feeling like nothing else, I know it's not T'dad, but if you close your eyes, you can imagine it.

BTW, Kevian, I spoke too soon, thought why not, I'll try a blog, I emailed you the link.

8:14 AM  
Blogger kevian said...

Girl playing pan is a great experience, no one can explain that feeling that u get when u grace the savannah stage for a panorama. Are you playing with Ebony?

I await your blog Karabana

3:10 PM  
Blogger saucydiva said...

kevian my girl friend plays with Exodus, though she did not play this year.I am sure you know her!Last name is Codrington....she plays bass/base I think.

11:30 PM  
Blogger kevian said...

hmm not firmilar with the player by last name. Email me her frist name, I will tell you if I know her.

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Gevis said...

Yeah.. unfortunatly i never went to panorama so I cant really comment on this.But that souns like general trini mentality right there

5:01 AM  
Anonymous panisme said...

This post is especially to the "Icahwait" individual who responded first, and other 'like-minded' characters of non-essential repute. I can tell you, that as a pan player, we would prefer that you and your kind NOT burden us with your presence at the Semi-finals. I respect your feelings for not liking pan, you are certainly entitled to them. But let's say you like ballet, and I can't stand it, and I and friends attend a ballet show that you are performing/competing at, and proceed to disturb the atmosphere, to the extend where officials request repeatedly that I and cohorts behave, or else. You would be furious.

Panorama semis - is the semi-final phase of our once-a-year competition. I live for this time every year. It is my time. Panorama features pan music. Period.

When other disgusting characters masquerading as people go to the semis at the North Stand (or wherever else it might move to in the future) for the sole purpose of selfish partying, to the extent that some think it is just that, a party, and the pan performances are incidental - the pan is not out of place. Those characters are. Around carnival time there are hundreds of - countless parties around, from all day parties, to all night parties. Fete, fete, and more fete.

Please - leave us pan people alone for our one of only two major PAN events for that season. You are disrespectful and contemptuous of the hours, days and weeks of practice we put in to perform at this competition. Don't come to the semi-finals. If you don't like pan, we don't like you. We don't want you.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home