Carnival for tea,breakfast and dinner

All I do is think about Carnival !!! Join me on the road to carnival 2k7

Name:
Location: Arima, Trinidad & Tobago

I love Carnival!!. Trinidad's carnival! Once a year my senses rejoice at the opportunity to douse my soul with intoxicating soca music, shed my cares and fears, and temporarily transfer my spirit into the mas. (S. Drakes)

Friday, November 10, 2006

Carnival childhood memories


This post was Inspired but Hottie's post on giving your children memories, these are my carnival memories as a child growing up.

  • Playing ole mas in school, Well my surname is Ragbir and I remember one year.. everyone was portraying their surnames… and that year I had to play a vagrant in rags..lol

  • I remember taking part in the school’s calypso competition.. remember the song that went tick, tock, tick, tock..slow, slow!??. Well I performed that song with a group of back up singers… everyone doing the dance.

  • I remember the year that I won the calypso competition….with a song that I “composed”. remember that song whoa donkey, whoa donkey, whoa donkey..well I converted it into hop frog, hop froggy , hop froggy.. I put my froggy in ah bottle and if it stay for the day… is hop hop hop hop hop , meh froggy hop till he nearly drop..

  • I remember going down tunapuna to watch mas on carnival Tuesday and making friends with the snow cone man who continued to replenish my ice with syrup every time it ran low… when I got home, I vomited like crazy.

  • I remember cornrowing my hair every carnival together with colourfull plastic beads and foil paper at the end..lol

  • I remember being afraid of blue devils.. running and screaming when I saw them.

  • I remember wanting to be a traditional indian masquerader.

  • I remember going into town on carnival Monday one year…and I was wondering….this is what mas is like??, these people are so rude (be minded that I am one of them.. now). I jus felt dirty looking at them.

  • I remember buying a hood and acidwash jeans to wear to carnival.

  • I remember when I was around 13 years old, there use to be this last lap jam session in front of royal castle in tunapuna..is there I whine on my frist guy..lol.

19 Comments:

Blogger Icahwait* said...

Kevian like my girl have mad skills.
Playing pan, winning calypso competitions back up singers and ting taboot!
acidwash jeans boyyy hahahaha.

All in good fun. I used to dread having to write the lil calypso for school. I used to go to Mucurapo girls and we used to have Crosbys come and support our Carnival Fri fun. I used to play mas when I was younger.
In the vale we had a big truck that would go round the neighbourhood pumping soca for the night for a couple of years. 13-15 yrs old I think I was. Seeing all the then neigbourhood hotties all in that. lol
Wait until the truck reach by your house then join in, follow the truck until the music stop. Random very random.
Any vale people remember that?

12:55 AM  
Blogger kevian said...

Hwm I was young my parent always encouraged me in music.. so i was always involved in singing, dancing and playing instruments.

Coming close to carnival I use to tape all meh favorite soca from the radio and sit down and learn de words.

I never player "pretty mas", till I was able to afford for myself though, u lucky your parents where willing to support you playing mas when u were young. it was ole mas in meh tail..

3:27 AM  
Blogger Hottie Hottie said...

Awwww.... How cute! I used to well paly school mas! Good thiing about Catholic primary school - everybody celebrating carnival. And I used to well look forward to plaiting meh hair with beads and foil too!

5:19 AM  
Blogger kevian said...

U went Arima girls RC??@ hottie

5:39 AM  
Blogger Hottie Hottie said...

Nah. Meh sister did. You looking familiar though. Actually, yuh kinda looking like me!!!!!

8:40 AM  
Blogger kevian said...

Which part of Arima u from gyal?

8:59 AM  
Anonymous -:¦:-·:*''''*:·.-:¦:-·* cb *·-:¦:-·:*''''*:·-:¦:- said...

icahwait*, I went Mucurapo, too! I remember the year we had the jump-up in the courtyard. I was a red devil. I was so proud of my wire tail. I also remember the year they decided to actually have the school enter the Carnival competitions and jump-up in the streets and on the Savannah stage. Was cool having my during-the-week friends play mas with me.

I also remember having my mother braid my hair and put in the beads because EVVVerybody had them. It was a mad dash to get the beads out Ash Wednesday morning because we would get in trouble if we still had them in. "But, Muuummmmmyyyyyyy, I doh want to get licks!"

11:06 AM  
Blogger kevian said...

I use to have all kinda colours... they couldn't stopp me, I took out my own when I did feel like.. I bad since I small.

11:11 AM  
Blogger saucydiva said...

Cute pic girl!!

I hated those school calypso compeitions, our songs were always terrible. And I played mas in school plenty times, especially ole mas,one year my class played vagrant too LOL.

My childhood Carnival memories would be of playing mas, of course and watching my mummy play pretty mas.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Hottie Hottie said...

Kevian, technically spaking I from D'abadie but I have family from Torecilla Gardens and plenty fren and used to live in de HEART of Arima. De whole of Arima know meh so I come like an Arimian, doh mind de family originally from Santa Cruz and Paramin.

And de word is WINE eh girl! LOL! I play a washerwoman a year. Complete with jooking board!

12:54 PM  
Blogger pearlprincess said...

Fond memories of carnival. 1.)being the only time of the year I could get my aunt to braid my hair for me complete with colored beads on the end! 2.) my mother (carrying her little bag with our water and snacks) with my sister and I in tow in our carnival costumes going to meet our kiddies band. 3.) not crossing the stage once in yuh kiddies band, but going round and round the stage!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Icahwait* said...

If anything my hair was in a lot of fine plaits but not with the million and one accessories.

Big up Mucurapo in the James man. :-)

Now Hottie I see you say you had family in Santa Cruz the other day. And now you saying that is Paramin & Santa Cruz. You hiding a Romany name anywhere there? Alot of my mother's family from there and still there. hmmnn

2:24 PM  
Blogger Icahwait* said...

Anyway Kevian how the diet going?

2:25 PM  
Blogger kevian said...

Hottie I from Dabadie too,lol I from Santa monica area.. yuh know where that is?

icahwait I will do a post on that diet thing soon , is jus that meh audience calling for a more wider scoop.lol. but I still going to the gym as usual and I yet to weigh timing bad.

2:32 PM  
Blogger kevian said...

Saucy thanks for the compliment.. I was always ah nice chile.. I eh know what happen..lol.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Hottie Hottie said...

But look ting! I sure I know you! I know where Santa Monica is oui! icahwait your name is Romany? If you originally from Santa Cruz then we probably related in the pumkin vine way. But yeah, Santa Cruz, Paramin and Maraval is where we folks from.

3:17 AM  
Blogger Icahwait* said...

I from Diego, my mother and her family from there. Her mother, aunts, cousins etc still mostly live there

6:55 AM  
Blogger Karabana said...

So adorable Kevian! Check you out winning the calypso competition! LOL "these people are so rude" & "I jus felt dirty looking at them."

8:28 AM  
Blogger caisoqueen said...

wow, very cute! I have wonderful carnival memories. De first time i played mas was in Ms Urcutt kindergarten school...I played Wonder Woman! My mummy was like, jump..Jump! I played Ballerina in First Year (St. Joseph's Girls RC School) and then Scarecrow in second year. Uncle Crazy came to perform and I was in my total glee!!!! Those were the days. I remember my mummy coming into school to put on my makeup!

Monique (tribe) and I won de first calypso competition, "Carnival is we Carnival" and we had to perform at St. Josephs Convent, St. Joseph... now dat was scary!

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home