Carnival for tea,breakfast and dinner

All I do is think about Carnival !!! Join me on the road to carnival 2k7

Name:
Location: Arima, Trinidad & Tobago

I love Carnival!!. Trinidad's carnival! Once a year my senses rejoice at the opportunity to douse my soul with intoxicating soca music, shed my cares and fears, and temporarily transfer my spirit into the mas. (S. Drakes)

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Comparing gyms around Trinidad

Well I know a lot of you are probably now looking to join a gym seeing that carnival is coming fast and furious.( 117 days I believe it is). I did some research on some gyms in Trinidad for you guys. If you have any others to add to the list let me know and I will add them. Let me know of your experiences there as well.(I have had some really bad gym experiences trust me) .

If you have never been to a gym you have to select a gym that best suits your needs. I love a gym with a great aerobic schedule and spin classes.

Bio-Fitness Club
Location: West Mall
Contact number:632-5872
Services available: Aerobics and Taebo, cardio machines, weight training
Opening hours: Mondays- Fridays- 4:30am-10:00pm
Saturdays- 8am-5pm
Sundays and Public holidays- 9:00am-1:00pm
Cost- $499 per month

Review: I have been to this gym before, personally I don’t think that it is worth the $499. They offer a clean surroundings, state of the art equipment and great Instructors. Nice location- the Mall. But after paying 2750 for my custume, there is no way on earth I paying 500 per month for a gym!.


Long circular club St. James
Location: Long Circular Mall
Contact number: 622-3516
Services available: Aerobics, cardio machines, weight training and Spin
Opening hours: Monday- Friday- 24 hours with instructors on the floor until 1 am
Saturdays- 6:30am-9pm
Sundays and Public holidays- 9:00am-2:00pm
Cost-$354 per month

Review: I have never been to this gym but the 24 hour service is a great idea for people who are extremely busy and can only afford to go to the gym late at night or early in the morning. I also heard that Macheal and Destra work out at this gym as well. this gym is still a little to expensive for me but I might jus be willing to pay a little extra to look aross and see macheal's nice ass doing some squats!.

Flex Appeal Fitness Center
Location: Independence Square ( Opp. Nicolas Towers)
Contact number: Not too sure
Services available: Aerobics, cardio machines, weight training
Opening hours: Mondays- Fridays- 5:00am-10:00pm
Saturdays- 9am-2pm
Sundays and Public holidays- 9:00am-1:00pm

Cost-$ 130 per month

Review: The gym has a great aerobics schedule (four classes per day on average)with a spacious carpeted open air aerobics room and helpful friendly instructors and staff. A great price and great location.
On another note : The bathrooms are untidy and the gym looks rundown. No parking facilities, you have to park on independence square. The cardio equipments are virtually non-existent because half of them don't work. AND NO WATER COOLER- can u belive thatt!! u have to buy water!!. I guess you can tell that I have been to this gym.

Star lite fitness center
Location: Starlight shopping Plaza Diego Martin
Contact number: 637-7765
Services available: Aerobics, spin, cardio machines, weight training,bottcamp
Opening hours: Mondays- Fridays- 4:30am-9:00pm
Saturdays- 9am-4pm
Sundays and Public holidays- 9:00am-1:00pm
Cost-$450
Review: Well this is the one more popular gyms I was very surprised to hear that it was so damn expensive. I don't know much about this gym so I can't tell you. Let me know people!


Fitness 2000 Ltd
Location: Railway Road, San Juan
Contact number: 638-7782
Services available: Good parking, Aerobics, Diet assessment, cardio machines, weight training, Yoga.
Opening hours: Mondays- Fridays- 5:00am-10:00pm
Saturdays- 9am-5pm
Sundays and Public holidays- 9:00am-2:00pm
Cost-$175
Review: Never been there, but the price seems good.

Millennium Fitness Center
Location; Macoya Road , Tunapuna ( center of Excellence)
Contact number: 645-0012
Services available: Aerobics, Spin, cardio machines, weight training, Steam room
Opening hours: Mondays- Thursdays- 4:30am-10:00pm
Fridays-- 4:30am-9:00pm
Saturdays- 9am-5pm
Sundays and Public holidays- 9:00am-2:00pm
Cost-$275 per month
Review: I have been to this gym in the past, they offer a nice clean environment and uptodate equipment and great customer service. They suffer from mediocre instructors though. For the service and nice environment the cost of their service is relatively good.


Fitness Focus
Location: EMR Tunapuna
Contact number: 662-2128
Services available: Aerobics, cardio machines, weight training
Opening hours: Mondays- Fridays- 5:00am-10:00pm
Saturdays- 9am-1pm
Sundays and Non religious Public holidays- 10:00am-1:00pm
Cost-$150 per month
Review: Well my hairdresser goes to this gym and she seems to be in love with it, the price and location is great. I been up there before and I found that they gym seemed cramped.
Fitness Range
Location: 5HA Woodford Square, Arima
Contact number: 667-7461
Services available: Aerobics, cardio machines, weight training, spin
Opening hours: Monday- Friday- 5:00am-10:00pm
Saturdays- 8am-2pm
Sundays and Public holidays- 8:00am-12:00pm
Cost-125 per month
Review: Good gym with a family atmosphere, great weight equipment and price. Undependable aerobics and spin class schedules. Great aerobics Instructors. Limited parking. Fairly clean environment. Limited showers.

Cyborys Gym
Location: 38 London Street San Fernando
Contact number: 652-9463
Services available: cardio machines, weight training. Pool, Pool table, Sports bar, Trainers
Opening hours: Mondays- Thursdays- 5:00am-9:00pm
Saturdays- 5am-7pm
Sundays and Public holidays-Closed
Cost-$1800 yearly
Review: Now! Why de hell would I want a sports bar in a gym?? , No aerobics?? I think this gym is just for men to be honest. The yearly payment thing is a rip off!!

St. Micheal's Gym
Location: Carib Street, San Fernando
Contact number:657-0442
Services available: Aerobics, sauna, cardio machines, weight training, pool
Opening hours: Mondays- Fridays- 5am-9:00pm
Saturdays- 9am-3pm
Sundays and Public holidays- Closed
Cost-$ 200 per month
Review: I spoke to someone who is a member of this gym and he told me that he loves it and that the instructors are great. I don't like gyms that don't open on Sundays and public holidays but the price seems good for the services offered.

Out of the gyms listed i would say that Millennuim fitness center (center of the excellence) is my favourite, I also like flex appeal because if it ridge aerobic schedule, location and price. Ihave been to all the gyms listed so give me your reviews.

21 Comments:

Blogger Carnival Jumbie said...

Well boy ! Doh get me started on Long Circular! If you haven't you can read my whole discourse about the Gym lottery and the Gymbolassies on my blog. That gym is the most convenient for me in terms of location but is so much make out scene in there.Part of the reason why my gym routine is in a SERIOUS rut right now. Looking to remotivate myself somehow.

12:08 PM  
Blogger saucydiva said...

I have been to Center of Excellence, the instructors I had were good, pushing you when neccessary and keeping you on track.It's my gym of choice at the moment, though my friend goes to the other one on the EMR in Tunapuna and loves it, they have kick boxing classes too.

Another friend of mine goes to the one in Arima,it's ok but the instructors don't really motivate you IMO.

Great post by the way!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well i can clearly see you have been to many gyms, so i know you have lots experience good and bad. i noticed you like alot of aerobics and spin class, i got ah lil suggestion for you try easterns' sporting complex not for the gym but for the aerobics classes they are always packed and very intense you are sure to see results. you can get your info at 662-1184/86 ext:2120 or just ask for the sporting complex, they will give you all the nessesary details.

12:43 PM  
Blogger kevian said...

Thanks annon where exaclty is the sporting complex located? tunapuna? I will call them tomorrow anyways TY.

I heard that Long circular famous for the gym models.. sneaker and accessories to match every gym outfit.@ diva

12:55 PM  
Blogger buublenut said...

Wow - if I live in Trinidad I would be at Long circular club St. James with Macheal!!!!!!!!

1:15 PM  
Blogger pearlprincess said...

When I was home and anytime I go back for an extended period I go to Long Circular. However, I have also been to Biofitness, Ellerslie and Starlite in the past. Long Circular in spite of the crowded atmosphere lack of parking and the gym models is the gym that I keep going back to. Their aerobics classes and instructors is what keeps me going back to them.

3:50 PM  
Blogger kevian said...

Girl I know exaclty what u mean because one the gym I heavily critized is the one that I go to.. but I jus love the aerobics schdule.

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A evry good gym but it has become the worse, simply due to the mangement and also the very unprofessional and barn yard staff in it... Cybex Gym in Sangre Grande.. Its the pits. No one stays there for too long.. And Im a resident of Sangre Grande and I choose to drive to Millenia Gym 4 x a week to workout..

I pay by the month and no where in the world have I evere been asked that it is against the rules of the gym to come MORE THAN ONCE A DAY! Can you imagine that? I have had to pay an extra $15 for the second session of cardio I do in the p.m.

It got a.c. etc and a smith machine but you will always face victimisation in this gym. If you are a serious weight trainer/bodybuilder its worse yet!

They have one stinking threadmill and say to DONT RUN and DONT use it for more than 15 mins? Like what the hell!

The washrooms are foul, they dont vacuum the carpets and no water cooler and the a.c. doesnt work 90% of the times..

The two trainers who work there, one of them is a drug addict of some sort, the other, a black belt karate expert who does chiropractor services on women and doesnt know what hes doing. One of them is a coimpetitor bodybuilder but a sore loser too. He trains his clients there and when he does, no one else can use the equipment when he has them doing their circuits..

let alone, all his clients are a bunch of obese women who never get results and he has them pay him a tonne of money and he does nothing for them but teach them to do crunches as if that will make them lose fat..


Anyway, if you are just dropping by the east side of the island, it doesnt hurt to workout here on a short term basis but if you are a beginner, forget it.

Extremely rude staff who have no customer care and dont even know about fitness. You be safer in your own garage working out!! AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE A PLAGUE.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A gym worth mentioning, sort of one of these hard to find gems is Bobby's Physique also located in the east.. Very friendly atmoshpere. If you're looking for a.c. and all the bells and whistles where you can sport the latest workout fashio, go elsewhere because this a hardcore place for serious lifters. There is even a vertical leg press, enough said! A current Ms Trinidad competitor trains there I believe

There is a good selectio of free weights and mass building machines and he is expanding even more. At $6/a session, this cant be beat and very spacious and clean washrooms. Friendly staff and Bobby is very knolwedgeble.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where is Bobby's Physique?

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having trained Instructors and travelled to become qualified, I can tell you that most J.I.M.. just into mimickery are nowhere close to what gyms are supposed to reflect, provide or represent. I am hoping that laws are passed quickly to regulate these places to International standards.. Many would not even make the grade, even the alleged "top jims". Trini are to small minded and unwilling to do the right thing.. after all it's you all lives in danger..keep on kicksin about life endangering places..

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Lans said...

I would also like to know where bobby's physique is. If anyone is still payin attention to this page I am lookin for a gym with good facilities, clean bathroom because I want to go before work preferably opening before 5 and not farther west than San Juan because I live in D'abadie and work in Curepe.

I do not like the atmosphere of Centre of Excellence. It needs an upgrade badly especially the bathrooms and instructors! I used to go Planet Fitness but I don't think it is worth the 350 anymore. I've heard about one above Marios in San Juan, can't remember the name. Does anyone know anything about it? Also Fitness Focus, Railway Rd, San Juan. Exactly where is that?

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Lans said...

oh, and it can't be cramped either. I'm claustrophobic. Ellerslie has been the best one for me so far but I don't work in POS anymore

8:18 AM  
Blogger Brainna Mcslacker said...

Hay man...I like your comparison. Great work. It helps me to find out the best gym. Though I have a small my home gym set up, but I have no proper routine and I just use equipment whenever I want to. But what a commercial gym can offer is motivation and companionship. I can workout straight for hours at the gym but not at home.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Taebo Jazz said...

Hi all. I'm so sorry to hear all the disappointments with the gym atmosphere. My name is Jazzmyn and I am a certified TaeBo instructor, personal trainer, and 4th Degree Black Belt in TaeKwonDo all under the Mastery of Mr. Billy Blanks; whom I study under and taught for for 12+yrs. I'm teaching a 6 week 'Bring the Fire' Carnival Burn out at Rodney's Revolution starting this week. Please email me if interested...
taebojazz@gmail.com...
You won't be disappointed one bit!!!

4:52 AM  
Blogger Taebo Jazz said...

My apologies everyone...TaeBo Jazz is teaching a 6 session Burn out not 6 weeks! Starts this week so get in while there is still space!

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have recently been gym hunting and a member of the so called gym Smokey's where people who have been members for a long while reign supreme, as if the rest of us do not pay gym fees, the instructors are not certified and well the attitude of them is beyond mention,i must say that your info is lots of help, and yes the whole year in advance only credit card accepted at Cyborg is a rip off they claim is to keep members there yearly because if you choose to leave before the year you have to pay 500.00.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pregnant so im looking for a gym that offers classes for me. Do you know of any? Please recommend if you can

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are these classes still happening. Where are they being conducted?

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starlight Gym offers a deal for 275 a month. (you can go between the hours of 11am & 4pm)

7:08 AM  
Blogger Amy Zee said...

Hi I am also pregnant and looking for a gym that would be best suited for my growing needs....Any recommendations?

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home