Carnival for tea,breakfast and dinner

All I do is think about Carnival !!! Join me on the road to carnival 2k7

Name:
Location: Arima, Trinidad & Tobago

I love Carnival!!. Trinidad's carnival! Once a year my senses rejoice at the opportunity to douse my soul with intoxicating soca music, shed my cares and fears, and temporarily transfer my spirit into the mas. (S. Drakes)

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Are you victim weight cycling?

Many people who try to lose weight become trapped in weight cycling. I can say for sure that I am a victim. Weight cycling is defined as a repeated cycle of weight loss and gain. When people repeatedly lose weight only to regain it, their bodies become efficient at making and storing fat. This increased efficiency shows itself in dieters who have lost and gained and lost and gained. With each attempt, it becomes harder and takes longer to lose weight and easier and quicker to gain it back.

When I started UWI in 2002 I was 132 lbs, the summer before I went into my finial year I went to the US on vacation and I came back a huge 147lbs ( remember that I am 5 ft 5). That very same Christmas I exercised and dieted like crazy and I came down to 137lbs for carnival. I quickly regained that weight. After I had graduated I began to exercise excessively once more, but I could never get my weight below 140 lbs. When I started post graduate studies I stopped exercising, I regained that weight before my graduation which was in October. January 2k6 I weight 148 lbs once more .I exercised hard and dieted once more and I could not get my weight below 142lbs in the space of time before carnival. Last week when I eventually weight mustered up the courage to get on the scale I was 150.6…………What’s next??
Such fluctuations in body weight do not appear to produce permanent changes in body composition, but they do increase the risk for several chronic diseases and even death. Some research indicates that maintaining a stable weight, even if it is overweight, maybe less harmful than to weight cycle.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, when I started UWI in 1997, I was below 100 pounds and up till my final year I weighed below 100 pounds (I am 5 ft 2 1/2).
When I left UWI in 2001 I weighed 102lbs.
Then I started to work offshore...and I reached a high of 138 (food galore girl!! and being the only girl out there did not help matters either!!).
When I stopped working offshore in 2003, I dropped to 118 (which I was told was healthy, as supposedly when I was below 100 pounds I was underweight...huh?)...mainained approximately that weight till I went to Norway in October 2003,and only ate fast food, reached 130, then started to work out in 2004 and dropped to 115. Which I maintained till about June 2005. Then I went to England in October 2005 and put back on some weight (same dining out crap..was staying in a hotel for a month)and reached 135.

Now I have been going to the gym since March (not as regular as you though) because Iw anted to lose weight before I went off to Germany, and I worked out hard and lost NOT A SINGLE POUND!!!...and now I am still working out (not as consistently though), still have yet to lsoe weight, but my body appears more toned.

What do you think?

10:55 AM  
Blogger kevian said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:37 AM  
Blogger kevian said...

In your case I believe you are weight cycling and the case of the offshore is just an anomaly , if you check your recent stats u will realize that u have been increasing in weight every time. The best way to deal with it is to make lifelong changes. A healthy diet and physical activity are the keys to your efforts. Focus on making healthful food choices, such as eating more high-fiber foods like fruits and vegetables and cutting down on foods that are high in saturated or Trans fats. Walking, jogging, or other activities can help keep you active and feeling good.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home